- Title: This Little Church Stayed Home
- Item#: B97433
- ISBN: 978-085234-603-7
- Size: 190 pp
- Length: 0.00
- Width: 0.00
- Copyright: 2006
5-16-16 note: This book is no longer available. The publisher has combined This Little Church Had None, This Little Church Went to Market, and This Little Church Stayed Home into one book. We did not know that when we featured this collection in our newsletter, and do not have any more stock. We are very sorry for the inconvenience!
Many churches, riding the faddish waves of our times, have gone "to market," but not all. Some churches are trying to "stay home," that is, remain firmly grounded in the Scriptures. Still, the pressures mount, the temptations are repackaged, and the schemes of the world become more and more persuasive.
In This Little Church Stayed Home, Dr. Gilley explores the manifold temptations of conservative churches to sell out to modern trends and innovations, including the present temptation towards mystical theology. Churches toying with ‘new measures' will be challenged to remain true to the historic doctrines of the Christian faith and to remain faithful to God's chosen means of converting sinners to Himself: the good news of Jesus Christ.
Pastors, seminary students, church leaders and Christians who want God's Word to be paramount in their lives will find This Little Church Stayed Home a timely message to a Christian subculture fixated on marketing the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ.
Gilley's follow up to This Little Church Went to Market greatly adds to the previous volume, beginning with a historical overview of how false teachers crept into the church with the advent of "modernism." The biblical mandate of the church is brought into focus and contrasted with a growing denial of the sufficiency of Scripture. Finally, the growing challenge of unbiblical mystical practices and their role in "the Emergent Church" is addressed.
- An Historical Overview
- Whatever Happened to the Truth?
- Postmodernity and Society
- Postmodernity and the Chruch
- Confronting Postmodernists
- Building up the body
- Church Discipline and Church Growth
- Love for an Offensive Gospel
- The Use and Misuse of Scripture
- The Purpose Driven Life: An Evaluation
- The Authority and Sufficiency of Scripture
- The Challenge of Mysticism: Part I
- The Challenge of Mysticism: Part II
- The Challenge of the Emergent Church: Part I
- The Challenge of the Emergent Church: Part II